Glaucoma Treatment & Surgery for Murray
Glaucoma refers to a group of diseases that can damage the optic nerve and cause blindness. The effects of glaucoma are permanent and cannot be reversed. If diagnosed properly and treated early, it is possible to slow or stop the progression of the disease. The doctors at Mountain States Eye Center are experienced ophthalmologists who can provide top-notch glaucoma care in Murray, UT. They can perform the necessary tests to detect glaucoma, diagnosis the type of glaucoma and carry out the best path of treatment.
There are a few common forms of glaucoma to be most aware of, these include:
- Open-angle glaucoma is the most common form of the disease, developing over time. There is generally no pain associated with it. Vision will decrease, ultimately resulting in blindness.
- Closed-angle glaucoma can present gradually or suddenly. Blurred vision, pain, nausea and dilated pupils can accompany the onset.
- Normal tension glaucoma is a less common form of the disease. In most cases, it is associated with arterial hypotension.
Glaucoma Management Options
Treatment for glaucoma should begin as soon as a diagnosis is made. This will minimize the risk of permanent vision loss. Glaucoma has no cure, so glaucoma management will focus on relieving symptoms and preventing further damage. Management can include eye drops, laser and microsurgery. At Mountain States Eye Center, our doctors will evaluate the severity of the disease and manage it accordingly.
- Prescription eye drops reduce the production of fluid in the front of the eye. They also help drain excess fluid buildup.
- Laser surgery will increase the expression of fluid from the eye. This aims to eliminate fluid blockages by means of laser trabeculoplasty, iridotomy or cyclophotocoagulation.
- Microsurgery creates a new channel to drain fluid from the eye, reducing pressure by means of trabeculectomy. Surgery is typically a last resort after medication and laser procedures prove ineffective.
Contact the Specialists
Regular eye exams are the best preventative care you can have against glaucoma. Call Mountain States Eye Center near Murray, UT today at (801) 277-1087 to schedule an appointment for an eye exam.